Minutes of the 2014 AGM

Posted 29 August 2014

Minutes – UK J24 Class AGM – 24th May 2014 – Poole




Jim Anderson (JA) welcomed all to meeting, explaining all input and comments gratefully received though can only count votes from full members of UKJCA – 17 members in attendance


2013 AGM minutes approved – William Pollock (WP) pointed out that Helm Membership would be remaining at lower rate than owner membership of class as is stated in current membership form. Mark Penfold no longer serving in ITC/IJCA Executive or a member of UKJCA so to be removed from UK Class Committee


1. Committee / Class Officers


  • Class Chairman – Jim Anderson (JA)
  • Class Vice Chairman – David Cooper (DC)
  • Class Secretary – Rob Clark (RC)
  • Class Membership Secretary and Treasurer – William Pollock (WP)
  • UK Class Measurer – Nick McDonald (NM)
  • Fleet Captains


RC stepping down as secretary but no replacement recommended or nominated. Committee to investigate combining Secretary and Class PR role and making it on a paid basis (proposed by WP – VOTE unanimous agreement). RC to produce resume of duties as Secretary to use as start of job profile and expectations for role.


JA, DC, WP and NM to remain in post – VOTE unanimous agreement


2. Accounts – Treasurers Report – William Pollock


WP reported that class funds still healthy due to previous efforts of Stuart Jardine in securing sponsorship funds. Some of these funds have been spent in covering launching and berthing fees for visiting boats for national championships to attract as many entrants as possible and that the class was committed to continuing such incentives.


WP explained that current membership income balances existing outgoing costs to run the class but any additional spend will eat into balance of funds.


WP welcomed any ideas from members for ways to use class funds for members and potential members benefit and to help promote the class.


3. Membership Report – William Pollock


WP explained that there are currently 46 UKJCA members, which is down from 2013, though explained this as a number of boats are not currently being used for various reasons. WP also asked for all local fleets to do everything they can to encourage J24 sailors to join the class to support and benefit from class programmes – it is a requirement for any boat racing in J24 one design or using the class handicap rating.


Adrian Bennett (AB – Plymouth Fleet) mentioned that there are a number of older Westerly’s racing from Saltash within IRC fleets and suggested that if as a class we provided a J24 trophy that would encourage the boats to join the class and use the class rating rather than having to pay IRC for a rating (DC / AB to investigate)


4. Racing Programme


2014 – Reminder of dates for rest of season


  • Spring Cup (rescheduled) – Plymouth – dates TBC
  • Southern Areas, Taittinger Regatta – Yarmouth, IOW – July 25 to 27
  • European Championships – Sweden – August 10 to 15
  • World Championships – Newport, RI – September 20 to 26
  • Autumn Cup – Plymouth – Dates TBC


Stig McDonald (SM) suggested that we could look at option to run rescheduled Spring and Autumn Cups in south west with week break between in autumn so visiting teams could leave their boats locally in between to avoid having to tow them twice. SM also suggested that could speak to Dartmouth fleet to see if they would like to host one of the events to encourage the developing fleet (SM / DC to investigate)


NM raised concern with concentration of events this season and loss of Fowey Trophy meaning that it will be hard for teams to attend 4 events in order to secure qualification for 2015 Worlds. NM proposed that for 2014 3 events would count towards national ranking and qualifying places for 2015 Worlds – VOTE agreed unanimously


All agreed that would be preferable to spread events better in 2015.


2015 Season


    • ·        World Championships (Q 40 pts) – Germany – August 28 to September 4
    • ·        European Championships (Q 40 pts) – France
    • ·        UK Nationals (Q 30 pts) – Plymouth as part of Plymouth Race Week – July
    • ·        Spring Cup (Q 25pts) – TBC
    • ·        Southern Areas (Q 25 pts) – TBC
    • ·        Autumn Cup (Q 25 pts) – TBC

    Suggestions to look at inclusion of Dartmouth Week (John Gorman to investigate) and Cowes Week (JA / Graeme Love to investigate) in J/24 racing programme


    2016 Europeans next opportunity for UK to host international J24 event – Plymouth has stated an intent to host this event but will need to follow this up with a formal bid as per IJCA regatta regulations – This needs to be completed by September (DC to lead)

    Europeans in 2016 (plus future Worlds) were seen as being key to expansion of class in UK, bringing new teams and potential of new boats – thought was that only a couple of new boats could cause a trickle down effect expanding fleets and the profile of a large international event would encourage more teams to the class.


    Agreed that all teams representing UK in international events over next 18 months should carry promotional material advertising the event and pass this out / make other J/24 teams aware. Class needs to produce this now as part of bid document process.


    Suggestion to ask Marianne Schoke (Sweden JCA) for help / advice with promotional ideas and logistics following success of 2010 Worlds and experiences promoting 2014 Euros.


    4.  Website / Social Media


    Lots of views through facebook and class website BUT…


    Needs content supplied:-


    Race / Regatta Reports – not only national and J24 only events – round the island / local racing roundup / Articles / Owners Info / Tips and Advice / Photo’s etc – if no one supplies information then website will become obsolete – Class captains please push from within your fleet


    Facebook page now has approximately 250 members and is proving to be a good way to keep social chat going and an appropriate forum for those wishing to chat / banter. Has attracted interest from other NJCAs and helps the greater J24 community


    Suggestion that whichever team comes 3rd in each event is required to write and submit report to class secretary as happens in other classes.


    RC requested that class captains submit reports of what is happening locally to secretary so that profile of class can be shown as active on both national and local level to attract sailors at all levels.


    5. Class Promotion within UK


    Any ideas


    6. Updates from local UK Class Fleets – current local boats, activity and class matters


    Duncan McCarthy (Poole) and George Kerr (Plymouth) gave accounts of active class racing happening locally and new members being encouraged to join in.


    7. Updates to UKJCA Class Rules



    8. IJCA / ITC Updates


    NM explained that lobby amongst class measures in Europe to streamline measurement process for larger events to a system similar to that used at UK Nationals – all boats have to provide measurement cert / inventory form / membership / crew weigh in and then onus of accuracy lies with owner with spot checks taking place over event to ensure teams are complying – potentially plus all teams that finish in top places.


    NM proposed that UKJCA endorse this system as a way forward and send note to IJCA to this effect – VOTE agreed unanimously


    9. AOB


Bob Turner (BT) raised issue with only current European builder being reluctant to offer new J/24s due to conflicts with other boats they offer. Suggestion that UKJCA should engage with other European nations to gain consensus and put pressure of IJCA to review (BT to investigate)